Sunday, March 8, 2015

Mar 7 - Weekend update - Down we go!

Been pretty busy lately so haven't had time to post although I have been tracking the markets.  Based on the clean break of trend and volume spikes (although not huge) across all the major indexes, I am leaning towards more downside although there is a good possibility of some retracing and perhaps even of consolidation before another move up.  That said, based on daily timeframes on the MACD on the indexes and VIX, I would put the odds on a short term move lower.  I was fairly heavily long QQQ up to early last week and the false breakout caught my attention which later led to a reversal of my previous position.  That said, I don't have any downside targets and will start assembling scenarios after Mon/ Tues tells us more.

Although I was trading QQQ, I often also track SPY as it is often more indicative of the overall market health which I why I have marked it below.  Mar 3's failure to breakout was notable and was the first warning sign.



SPY MACD issued sell signal on the daily, which has been a solid indicator.  I only utilize strong MACD moves to avoid getting false signals, i.e. moving very rapidly downwards from very overbought readings.

4 of the last 5 major VIX MACD crossovers have led to short term corrections.

HYG (junk bonds) have been a great indicator and have often led major equities' ETFs before trend changes whether up or down.  In the last few trendline breaks, there has been a significant lag before the market rolled over so it is very possible the market creates some froth before potentially moving down.

$NYA and $WLSH I track because they have had more pronounced moves relative to the other indexes.  $NYA was showing more weakness prior to Friday's fall and the vol also confirmed distribution.  in $WLSH, when it approaches the upper trendline and slips under the secondary trendline (dotted) it led to further declines 5 out of 5 times.
 $NYA once again finding resistance and falling after another MACD cross.

For $VIX the market has had short term corrections in 4 out of 5 instances on what I would call 'strong MACD signals'.  
I don't use these indicators aggressively but $TICK has been displaying negative divergence which has led to falls 2 out of 3 times.  The time the signal failed, the market continued to grind up at a weak pace but eventually rolled over.  The $ONE:$VXO ratio is something I will watch in case we do correct as I will look to the yellow zone to confirm a tradeable bottom.


The QQQ major components all are showing signs of consolidation or correction.  All except AAPL have shown longer term negative divergence versus QQQ which is a warning sign for potential long tern weakness.  ORCL and INTC have particularly wobbly looking sequences.  GOOG looks set to pull back from overbought conditions.


Be Sociable, share the knowledge!  You can share this post by clicking one of the Facebook, Google+, Twitter buttons below :)














No comments:

Aug 25 - Re-entered (again) GLD short, long LVS, AMZN, NFLX, SHAK

I have been stopped out twice in last few weeks trying to short GLD.  I have a pretty sizeable position of Nov/ Dec GLD/ GDX puts. Also ha...